by Rachel Wells
If your kids love Halloween and science – we have the perfect activity for you! This simple experiment is guaranteed to be a blast, and one that your child will want to do over and over again (you probably will too!)
- Film canisters
- Corn starch
- Permanent marker
- Alka seltzer
- Stir stick
- Draw ghost faces on the film canisters using the permanent marker (The open part of the canister should be at the bottom/by the mouth)
- Put a little bit of corn starch into the canister and fill it 1/3 of the way with water. Stir well.
- Take a piece of Alka seltzer and break it into thirds.
- Head outside. Please note that these take off quickly so you will only want to set off one rocket at a time!
- Quickly drop the pieces of Alka seltzer into the canister, put the lid on, flip the rocket over, set it down, and stand back. These will fly really high!
- Have fun experimenting with different amounts of cornstarch and Alka-Seltzer to see what combination blasts off the highest.