Our Employee of the Month is Shameka Holinger!
Shameka did an amazing job recently as a stand in Site Director. She rolled with the punches, communicated with her Area Coordinator, and stepped up to build positive relationships with parents, students, and members of the school community as a whole. Shameka is patient and takes time to build positive relationships with all of her students.
Shameka, thank you for being such an outstanding employee and teacher!
To show our appreciation for your dedication and hard work – please check your email this week for a special gift from us.
Check out our interview with Shameka below:
- Who are you, where do you come from, where are you going?
Hi, my name is Shameka Holinger and I’m from Mount Vernon NY. I’m going further in life then I was yesterday.
- How long have you been teaching with Apollo?
I have been teaching at Apollo since September of 2022.
- What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started teaching?
It takes patience and hard to work and teach children of all ages. You have to place yourself in the child’s shoes – and remember we all once were children with many different stories and backgrounds.
- How do you motivate your students to succeed?
I tell my students that the words “I can’t” or “I don’t know” are not in their vocabulary – they need to practice and ask for help when they’re stuck.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
If I could have any superpower, I would be able to read minds, and if it’s negative, I would be able to change their thoughts to something good.
- What is your most memorable memory from your time as an Apollo instructor?
When I end a science experiment and the kids all have a smile on their face.
- If you could retire tomorrow and never have to worry about money again, what would you do with your time?
To spend time with my family in another country.
- What’s your go-to technique for dealing with ‘handful students’?
Breathe and give them the stare without speaking. They freeze and sit every time.
- What is an unusual place you have been to?
A haunted hotel.
- Do you have a talent that not many people know about?
I am a men’s stylist.
- What’s your #1 teaching tip?
Breathe and have patience.
- What’s your favorite classroom Attention Getter?
Stop, look and wait (student copy and paste)
- How do you spend your summer breaks?
Traveling when I’m not working.
- Star Wars, Star Trek, or they’re both lame?
They are both lame. Never understood either one.
- What do you like most about working with Apollo?
The many different personalities of the children.