Our Employee of the Month is Holly Scalera!
Holly is an amazing educator from Ventura, California. She created an Apollo Gardening Club which she has such a passion for, and it definitely shows when she is working with her students (who cannot wait for Gardening Club Day!) She is kind, warm, and always brings a positive light to her daily interactions with everyone.
Holly, thank you for being such an outstanding employee and teacher!
To show our appreciation for your dedication and hard work – please check your email this week for a special gift from us.
Check out our interview with Holly below:
1. Who are you, where do you come from, where are you going?
My name is Holly Scalera and I live in Ventura, California. I have travel plans to go to Alaska this summer with my family.
2. How long have you been teaching with Apollo?
I have been with apollo for 5 months.
3. What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started teaching?
That every day is different with children and you have to go with the flow.
5. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
To be able to put out wild fires.
6. What is your most memorable memory from your time as an Apollo instructor?
Nature walks with the kids on camp day.
7. If you could retire tomorrow and never have to worry about money again, what would you do with your time?
I’d start group homes for people who are alone.
8. What’s your go-to technique for dealing with ‘handful students’?
Playing to their strength and finding out what calms them down or engages them.
9. What is an unusual place you have been to?
10. Do you have a talent that not many people know about?
Sculpting with felt
11. What’s your #1 teaching tip?
12. What’s your favorite classroom Attention Getter?
13. What is something interesting that you’re involved in, outside of Apollo After School?
Gardening, yoga, and reading.
14. How do you spend your summer breaks?
Camping, kayaking, and swimming.
15. Star Wars, Star Trek, or they’re both lame?
Star Trek – who doesn’t love Captain Kirk?
16. What do you like most about working with Apollo?
Spending time with kids who are filled with imagination and spontaneity.