Our Employee of the Month is Dolores Morales from Illinois.
Dolores has been doing a wonderful job running the after school program at Holmes Elementary in Oak Park, Illinois. She has shown great flexibility through the school year and has been doing an excellent job at adhering to pandemic safety rules. She is a very consistent Site Director and is always in communication with updates and concerns. She is a good model for all Apollo staff.
Dolores, thank you for being such an outstanding employee and teacher!
To show our appreciation for your dedication and hard work – please check your email this week for a special gift card.
I’m a mother of two adult children. I’m currently working as a site director for Apollo After School. I was born, raised and currently reside in Chicago.
Mistakes are a great opportunity to make learning that much more elaborate.
- Who are you, where do you come from, where are you going?
I’m Dolores Morales, I’ve worked in the childcare field for over 10 years before joining Apollo After School, and I would like to acquire a teaching or recreational therapy credential in the near future.
- What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started teaching?
Children learn and thrive in organized, calm and friendly environments. This helps set the tone for working well in groups for free time, homework and enrichment.
- How do you motivate your students to succeed?
I make sure activities are fun, engaging and age appropriate.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
To be able to breathe underwater.
- What is your most memorable memory from your time as an Apollo instructor?
Recently a student gathered a small group of children and gave some basic Spanish and Russian language lessons to her “students” during free time!
- If you could retire tomorrow and never have to worry about money again, what would you do with your time?
I would travel the world!
- What’s your go-to technique for dealing with ‘handful students’?
Redirect behavior, if that doesn’t work I send the child to a “chill out zone” until they agree to rejoin the group without being disruptive.
- What is an unusual place you have been to?
I’ve explored subterranean rivers of the cave systems in the Yucatan peninsula (Mexico and Belize).
- Do you have a talent that not many people know about?
Hmm no not really…
- What’s your #1 teaching tip?
Don’t be boring.
- What’s your favorite classroom Attention Getter?
Hocus pocus everybody focus!
- What is something interesting that you’re involved in, outside of Apollo After School?
I keep tropical fish and planted aquariums. It’s a hobby known as “aquaculture”.
- How do you spend your summer breaks?
I try to travel as much as possible within a reasonable budget.
- Star Wars, Star Trek, or they’re both lame?
Classic Star Trek with William Shatner.