Our Employee of the Month is Nathalie Rojas from Chicago, Il.
During a time where it can be difficult to find consistent and reliable staff, Nathalie Rojas goes above and beyond to show up to work on time every single day. In fact, she walks over 30 minutes to the school daily, no matter the weather! She also has a great relationship with her students and their parents, and we know they sincerely appreciate Ms. Nathalie’s consistency, as well as the attention she pays to the needs of each of her students.
Nathalie often does tasks without prompting, and can anticipate needs before they’re asked of her. The school staff knew her before the pandemic, and they were so excited to see her when she started again at Bridge.
She exemplifies all of best values of Apollo After School!
Nathalie, thank you for being such an outstanding employee and teacher!
To show our appreciation for your dedication and hard work – please check your email this week for a special gift card.
Hi, how are you? I am Nathalie Rojas, I work at Norman Bridge Elementary School as an Apollo educator for the past 3 years. I was born and raised in Chicago, IL.
Having patience and being honest is a way of increasing your bond with the students.
- Who are you, where do you come from, where are you going?
My name is Nathalie Rojas. I live in Chicago, IL. I was born here. My parents were born in Juncos, Puerto Rico and Cali, Colombia. I work as an educator in Apollo After School. I’m still trying to figure out what I really want to pursue in my life. But I’ll leave that in faith’s hands to guide me along the way.
- How long have you been teaching with Apollo?
I’ve been teaching in Apollo since October 2018. It was also my first job.
- What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started teaching?
The most valuable lesson I learned since I started teaching would be to always have an open mind. Kids have the most creative minds and it’s so amazing to witness that in person. It makes you want to know them more, and also yourself.
- How do you motivate your students to succeed?
I motivate my students to succeed by encouraging them to believe in themselves, and that they can achieve their goals. Like when they’re doing homework and they second guess themselves that they can’t do it, I always encourage them to try their best.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
If I could have a superpower it would be teleportation.
- What is your most memorable memory from your time as an Apollo instructor?
My most memorable memory of my time as an Apollo instructor would be the time when the students made it their mission to make me laugh the whole day.
- If you could retire tomorrow and never have to worry about money again, what would you do with your time?
I would start traveling more and seeing the places where I’ve always wanted to go. I’d find the best place where I feel like home and live there.
- What’s your go-to technique for dealing with ‘handful students’?
I’d like to give them a time-limited break or quiet time, so that they can cool off and come back ready to try again.
- What is an unusual place you have been to?
The most unusual place I’ve been to would be Toronto Zoo. It’s very different from the Zoo’s I’ve been to in Chicago. They had more activities to do and had a hiking trail to walk. It’s very spacious and it was amazing to see that each animal has its own private habitat.
- Do you have a talent that not many people know about?
I don’t really have any talent, but I do get a lot of notice for my great penmanship.
- What’s your #1 teaching tip?
My number #1 teaching tip is to always put the students’ needs first.
- What’s your favorite classroom Attention Getter?
My favorite classroom Attention Getter would be 1,2,3 Eyes on me.
- What is something interesting that you’re involved in, outside of Apollo After School?
I’m not involved in anything outside of Apollo After School.
- How do you spend your summer breaks?
My dad and my sister and I try to spend our summer break every year in Canada to see our family there. I usually just try to relax and go to my favorite bookstore.
- Star Wars, Star Trek, or they’re both lame?
Star Wars for sure!
- What do you like most about working with Apollo?
What I like most about working with Apollo is how communicative and understanding the staff are. I really appreciate it. Working with the kids is the highlight of my day. It’s great to get to know them better each day.