Our Employee of the Month is Antoinette Walker from Chicago.
Antoinette stated working with Apollo a few years ago as a Site Director. During the 2020-2021 school year, she was the Site Director at our only open school in Chicago. She dealt with many difficult situations on that site but never lost her wonderful sense of humor.
This fall, Antoinette came back to us as an Area Coordinator for the Chicagoland area. She has worked hard to learn the ins and outs of working with multiple schools while taking on a lot of new responsibility. She is a wonderful mentor, coach, and trainer, and a great example of how to grow in our organization.
Antoinette, thank you for being such an outstanding employee and teacher!
To show our appreciation for your dedication and hard work – please check your email this week for a special gift card.
Hello I am Antoinette Walker, youth advocate and enrichment specialist. I have worked in extended care programming for a little over 10 years now. I am dedicated to providing quality, developmental enrichment to children of all ages.
Every day is a new day!
- Who are you, where do you come from, where are you going?
I’m an Early Childhood Development Major and single mother born and raised in Chicago. I plan to further my education and experience working with children.
- What is the most valuable lesson you’ve learned since you started teaching?
I learned that listening to children and open lines of communication are key.
- How do you motivate your students to succeed?
I explain the advantages of being educated.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
I would have to say mind reading.
- What is your most memorable memory from your time as an Apollo instructor?
Just recently I had a 5th grader approach me, who had grown so big I hardly recognized him. He told me he missed me and after school.
- If you could retire tomorrow and never have to worry about money again, what would you do with your time?
Teach a part time horticulture class.
- What’s your go-to technique for dealing with ‘handful students’?
Encourage them to take deep breathes, relax, and step away from the group if needed.
- Do you have a talent that not many people know about?
I can sing pretty well.
- What’s your #1 teaching tip?
Be sure to develop a good routine.
- What’s your favorite classroom Attention Getter?
If you can hear me clap once … if can hear me clap 3 times … if you can hear me snap your fingers…
- What is something interesting that you’re involved in, outside of Apollo After School?
I do a podcast once a week.
- How do you spend your summer breaks?
Swimming and sewing
- Star Wars, Star Trek, or they’re both lame?
Neither are my cup of tea.